Since launching in 2005, People and Places has distributed over £200 million of money raised by National Lottery players to thousands of community projects across Wales.
Any third sector organisation, community group, public body or social enterprise can apply to People and Places for a grant between £10,000 and £500,000. We want to fund projects lasting up to five years where people and communities are working together and using their strengths to make positive impacts on the things that matter to them the most.
Over the last few months we’ve been looking at how we can improve the process based on customer feedback, making it quicker and simpler. On 31 July, we launched our new and improved application materials.
So what’s changed?
People and Places now has two strands, making the process quicker, particularly for smaller grants:
- Medium grants (£10,001 to £100,000). This is a one stage application process and decisions are made within three months.
- Large grants (£100,001 to £500,000). This is a two stage application process. Decisions on stage one applications are made within six weeks. Successful applications at this stage are invited to complete a stage two application within four months. Decisions on the stage two applications are made within four months (was 6 months).
Applicants no longer need to meet programme outcomes. Instead we ask that all projects meet the People and Places aim, which is:
- Working together, people and communities will use their strengths to make positive impacts on the things that matter to them the most.
Our mission at the National Lottery Community Fund is to help communities and people most in need. We believe that the following three approaches are vital to help us achieve our mission and address inequality in Wales and we want all applications to embrace these:
- People-led – we want the people who will benefit from, or be affected by your project to be meaningfully involved in the development, design and delivery of your activity.
- Strengths-based – we want to encourage organisations to make the most of, and build on, the skills and experiences of people and strengths within communities.
- Connected – we want to know that you have a good understanding of what others are doing locally, that what you’re doing complements and adds to this, and that you have working relationships with other relevant groups
How do I apply?
For more information and to view the application forms, please visit our website:
- Medium grants (£10,001 to £100,000) https://www.tnlcommunityfund.org.uk/funding/programmes/people-and-places-medium-grants
- Large grants (£100,001 to £500,000) https://www.tnlcommunityfund.org.uk/funding/programmes/people-and-places-large-grants
Did you know, National Lottery’s small grants programme, National Lottery Awards for All has also changed? Find out more here.